Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Mets won 10 straight?

I left town and the Mets couldn't lose. For a minute I even had one of those ridiculous supersticious moments where I thought I should take a day trip or something to keep the streak going. It was only a moment though. Then the Mets won again after my return to make it 10 in a row.

The Mets seem to have been winning all kinds of games. High scoring games. Low scoring games. Shutouts. On the road. At home. One run games. Of course, that's what happens when you win. But they shutdown the Gigantes and the Rox, two teams that they SHOULD beat. And that's great because that's what they weren't doing earlier in the season, beating the lowsy teams.

****

Ironically, just weeks after writing about Billy Beane's brilliance, I'm starting to wonder if he has slightly lost his course. He is trying to get as much as he can for his players before they become too expensive for his franchise. Fine, great. But, it almost seems like he has become obsessed with making trades and not necessarily improving. It bothers me because I feel like he gave up on this season when they are an over .500 ballclub that could contend in their division. And I picked them to win the division, I didn't pick them to play for next year.

However, he has gotten some young arms in his recent (2007-08) trades, again, who are piling up Ks in the minors. See Gio Gonzalez, Sean Gallagher, and Fauti de los Santos.

No comments:

Post a Comment