Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TOM NIETO IS FIRED

Tom Nieto, Rick Peterson, and manager Willie Randolph were all fired in the middle of the night, while New York slept.

So, what exactly did Omar and the Mets think was going to happen here? I mean, the timing of this firing was odd to say the least. What could the Mets' ownership and GM possibly be thinking? Well, you've come to the right blog, because I know exactly what they were thinking. An undercover Mets-Thing correspondent, who shall remain nameless, secretly recorded Omar saying this over the weekend....

"Hey guys, I was thinkin', if we fire Willie in the middle of the night when we're in Anaheim, noone will notice, we'll be able to avoid the media, and New York won't even realize we made a change. I mean, we're three thousand miles away, there's no way anyone could get word of this for at least a week. We'll do it at the hotel after the game too. Half the players will be asleep and they won't even realize we made a change until September."

I don't understand why they're trying to hide this. I don't understand why they waited until Willie flew all the way to California. Actually, I don't understand why Willie wasn't fired immediately after LAST season.

This firing makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. And I think I'm feeling that way because this firing most likely won't do any good for the team. If you've noticed in this blog, I've pointed out how Willie seems clueless at times, but I haven't completely blamed him for how bad the Mets are. The problem still lies in the old, overrated players he has been given by Omar. Whoever the manager will be the rest of this season (maybe Jerry Manuel), will still have to rely on players like Carlos Delgado, Oliver Perez, Scott Schoeneweis, Endy Chavez, Damion Easley, Marlon Anderson, and Fernando Tatis, all playing key roles. Then, he has to deal with the oft-injured Moises Alou and Pedro Martinez, two players that Omar likes to think are big parts of this team. And unfortunately, Omar is right, because without them, the Mets are mediocre at best. Thinking you can rely on them is the problem.

Basically, although I didn't like Willie that much, he's not really the issue here. It's the players. However, you can't get rid of the players, so you get rid of the manager I guess.

****
Can we bring back Bobby V. now please?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment